Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thickness of Seed Coat will affect how fast the seed germinate


This shows when each of the seeds start to germinate.
I searched the internet to find out if the size of the seed will affect how fast the seed germinate. Most of them say that the size of the seed does not affect it.
However, they did say that the thickness of the seed coat will affect how much water the seed can soak up, and this can affect the speed of germination. I got this from the internet:
"Environmental conditions effecting seed germination include: water, oxygen, temperature and light.

Three distinct phases of seed germination occur: water imbibition; lag phase; and radicle emergence.

In order for the seed coat to split, the embryo must imbibe (soak up water), which causes it to swell, splitting the seed coat. However, the nature of the seed coat determines how rapidly water can penetrate and subsequently initiate germination. The rate of imbibition is dependent on the permeability (how easy for water to pass through) of the seed coat, amount of water in the environment and the area of contact the seed has to the source of water."
Since all the seeds in my ziplock bag has the same amount of water, and are placed in the same environment, then I think the reason that some grow faster than others could be because they have different seed coats thickness.
The Black-eye bean must have the thinnest seed coat and the Kidney bean the thickest. I am surprised because I thought that the Maha Bodhi Seed would have the thickest seed coat. I guess I am wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Yeshe,i am Boyu.i visited your blog this afternoon. i find it nice and will like to invite you to visit my blog when i hand it in to Mr Tan.

    ReplyDelete